W3C Patent Policy

From: Keith Winston <lessthan0@operamail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:06:07 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I think it is very important for all W3C standards to be royalty-free.
Software patents have proven to be abused by the patent holders to force
unreasonable payments from developers.  Even if a patent holder initially
provides royalty-free use of a technology in the beginning, they often come
back later demanding for large payments once the technology is in wide spread
use.  A perfect example of this is Unisys and the GIF image format.
Publishing standards that incorporate patents also provide undue leverage to
patent holders in controlling the direction of web development, restrict the
adoption of standards, and in no way can be good for the web.  I urge you to
make all W3C standards royaly-free now and forever.

Sincerely,
Keith Winston
Millennium Consulting Corp.