Re: RAND invalidates W3C's mission

From: Magali Tranié <magalit@universal-imaging.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:39:33 -0400
To: "'www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org'" <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
W3C Members, Users and Committee Members,

I am writing to show my support AGAINST RAND. I thank and applaud Dave Reese
and Keith Briscoe for their intelligent and eloquent messages (as well as
many others).  "RAND technologies by definition discriminate against those
without reserves of cash," said Keith. I, myself, like many other Web
developers, am an avid user of open source code and freeware, and rely
greatly on this wonderful community of Web users for advice, information and
help. My concern is that RAND will support large corporations and eliminate
those will little or no resources.

How will we achieve the visions you described in your mission statements:
"...independent thoughts..."
"... a "Web of Trust" ..."
"...We therefore strive to build a Web that can easily evolve into an even
better Web, without disrupting what already works..."
"...Decentralization ..."
if we becomes highly restricted by what those with the money to survive
dictate? The Web is what it is today thanks to this great community that
allows the FREE exchange of knowledge, not thanks to the sharks in charge of
large corporations. if the " ...W3C's mission is to lead the Web to its full
potential...", then please realize that you can do that by saying NO TO
RAND.

Magali H. Tranié
Webmaster/Web Developer