RAND and Free Software

From: Erik Sigra <sigra@home.se>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:02:54 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
How can you say that something that is patented can be "Reasonable and
Non-Discriminatory"? You seem to forget that patents are constructed to
discriminate.

I use only Free Software for web related tasks. Other software is irrelevant
to me because I can't verify it, fix bugs and adapt it to my needs. Many
people have expressed worries that your "RAND" system would not work with the
GNU General Public License, which I prefer, and other Free Software
licenses. And I consider anything that is incompatible with Free Software to
be useless or even harmful.

Free Software is based on the principles of sharing and selflessnes that our
western civilization is based on. The internet as we have it today is based
on Free Software.

How will Free web browsers like Konqueror, Mozilla and Lynx be able to
implement the W3C standards if "RAND" is accepted? If this is not possible,
you can't possibly call it "Reasonable".

Do you want big corporations to be able to monopolize the browser market by
patenting a technology, making it a W3 standard, charge an amount that others
can't afford and implement the standard in their own browser? As you have
defined Non-Discriminatory it means that everyone is charged equally for the
use of the patented technology. But it doesn't matter how much a corporation
charges itself. They could afford any amount of money, but of course their
competitors can't.