Re: failure to communicate

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:13:28PM -0700, Janet Daly wrote:
> > I feel certain that the W3C will receive the type of critique it desires
> > if the comment period is extended.
[...]
> > It is not logical under these circumstances to interpret the long period
> > of silence as assent.
> >
> > Perhaps after extending the comment period, those with incisive
> > comments, both in favor of and against the existing proposal, should be
> > recruited to help author a new draft.  I do assume that the W3C seeks to
> > be representative of the community it serves.
[...]
> The Patent Policy Working Group stands to benefit greatly from your
> detailed responses, and from those from other members of the developer
> community. I encourage you to take advantage of the extension [1] for
> public comments to provide feedback that may be of use to the Working
> Group, and to W3C at large.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/10/patent-response

Thank you for extending the comment period.  I continue to suggest a
review of W3C's announcement policies, however.  Five to five and a half
weeks of near silence followed by a flood of hundreds of messages is
indicative to me of poor communication channels between the W3C and at
least some of its public.

Thanks again for the extension, and please feel free to pass along my
remarks to those concerned.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      To stay young requires unceasing
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      cultivation of the ability to