What's a Standard?

From: Matthew C. Tedder <matthew@tedder.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:39:14 -0400
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>

I have to ask, what is a standard?  If someone can own it and create costs and limitations to its use, what's the purpose?  Any company can do this with any protocol or specification they might have.

If it's to be a standard, it should be equally and freely possible for all to use for any purpose and in any way.

Why do we constantly have to fight for the right to make products and services with interoperability?  Isn't W3C supposed to be supporting these rights, not threatening them?

eMail:  matthew@tedder.com

--Matthew