Please, no RAND

From: John Eure <johneure@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 19:18:35 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I've always relied on the W3C standards as a way to ensure that web
applications I write will be interoperable and free of legal
entanglements.  Don't put an end to this by allowing non-royalty-free
patents to become standards.  It will be a sad day indeed when homegrown
tools are _legally unable_ to interact with the World Wide Web.  But that's
what will happen if RAND patents are allowed in standards:  after all, if
they aren't intended to be widely used, why bother?

                                    Thanks for your attention,
                                    John Eure
                                    (a CS Master's student)
                                    (no, this isn't my normal account)