privatizing the open standards process

From: Michael Brian Bentley <bentley@crenelle.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 14:04:31 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I don't have time to comment fairly on this idea, this came out of
the blue and I've got six impossible things to do in the next four
hours. Forgive the brevity, I assume others will make up for my
terseness.

I think it is a bad idea. You're implicitly inviting/forcing the open
standards folks and other interests to create their _own_ open
standards process, which by itself will disrupt the somewhat flawed
existing process as it is --without your contribution, which will
just add to the noise. The folks who develop some of the software
technologies will not take this future direction lightly or in the
best frame of mind. Do not become another embarrassment like ICANN...

YrObtSvt.,

Michael Brian Bentley
Chicago, Illinois