An oxymoron: proprietary standard

From: Jacek Piskozub <piskozub@mpl.ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:19:34 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I work in the mozilla.org Web evangelism group. When evangelising
webmasters about the need to stick to the standards we  send them a
letter based on a draft text we have prepared. I just want to send ypou
a quote:

> I am contacting you to request that you upgrade your web site to
> provide the same support for W3C Standards as it does for the
> proprietary extensions found in Microsoft's Internet Explorer or
> Netscape Navigator 4.x and to offer some resources that may help you.

Will we need to change it to "upgrade your web site to provide the same
support *proprietary* W3C Standards as it does for the proprietary
extensions found in Microsoft's Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator
4.x "?

And furher on:

> Supporting W3C Standards is the right thing to do because it makes
> sure that the Internet remains accessible to users of all browsers on
> all platforms and devices.

I'm not sure I will be able send this to anyone after the patent
proposition is implemented.

Jacek Piskozub
mozilla.org Evangelist for Central Europe