Data interchange standards should be patent free (at least w3c recommended ones)

From: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce@idiom.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 11:18:08 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I best illustrate this position with the TrueType format.  The format itself
is patent-free, but certain rendering techniques are protected by patent.
Anyone can view a TrueType font, but it gets better if you have access to
Apple's hinting patent techniques.

I feel the W3C should not bless any standard unless the parties involved
certify that the resulting interchange be usable -- at least in basic form --
with no intellectual property restraints.  Note I did not say "offer to
licence their patent for free", I said "no intellectual property restraints".

                   Bryce Nesbitt
                   Cambridge, MA