Raising the wrong bar

From: Joseph Sickel <joseph.sickel@biggigantic.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 23:58:16 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
The Internet is the great leveler that it is, precisely because the
barriers for participating are so low. RAND threatens this.

I'm especially saddened to see Apple promoting RAND, given its heavy
incorporation of open source into its own commercial operation system.
The irony is unwelcome.

I hope that the W3C will uphold its tradition of helping the growth of
the web in a spirited and open fashion, and reject this funneling of
power through a closed system. Private interests would undoubtedly leave
many developers, and the W3C, impotent and unable to make meaningful
contributions.

There is nothing like the internet, and nothing quite like the W3C. Your
decisions will have epic repercussions.

Sincerely,

Joseph Sickel