RAND Patents: A great thing

From: Alex Simons <alexsi@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:38:03 -0700
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
A short note to express my strong support for the RAND patent changes proposed.

Patents are a critical part of our Intellectual Property system and a key underpinning of our capitalist economy.  Remove patents and you remove the incentives for people to invent/create new IP.  Why create new IP when you have to risk it as part of the W3C procedures? Instead, the W3C should uphold, protect and encourage patents as they create and support true innovation by providing tremendous positive economic incentives.

Alex Simons