Re: [Moderator Action] P3P Standards

Dear M. Hohl,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 07:18:02AM -0500, Hohl, Steven wrote:
> Was the latest version (February 28) approved?  If so, when?

The approval for the Proposed Recommendation (February 28) is pending.
I can't tell you more for the moment. The Working Group hopes to have
P3P going to Recommendation in the next few month. This said, we don't
expect any changes in the Specification anymore.

> My understanding is that P3P is optional now.  Do you know if any industries
> are going to require P3P compliance any time soon (within the next year).

I'm not aware of any governmental regulations mandating P3P, but there
are states, that want to comply to P3P with all their Web-sites. See the
page with the compliant sites for the list we have until now[1].

Regarding industries requiring compliance within the next year I can
only speculate about the trust-labels, that will integrate P3P into
their work. There is also work under way to include P3P in Codes of Best
Practice.(see also the IPSE-Work of CEN[2])

  1. http://www.w3.org/P3P/compliant_sites
  2. http://www.cenorm.be/isss/Projects/DataProtection/dp.default.htm

Best,
--
Rigo Wenning            W3C/INRIA
Policy Analyst          Privacy Activity Lead