Re: User side policy & handling of credentials

From: Almut Herzog <almhe@ida.liu.se>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 09:46:30 +0000
To: www-p3p-policy-request@w3.org

Lorrie Cranor wrote:
> Web sites can advertise their certifications using a disputes  element.
> You can create an APPEL file that looks for sites with  particular
> certifications.

So the web site states that they are BBB-certified in their policy:
>> From the P3P book, p.89:
<DISPUTES resolution-type="independent"
  service="http://www.bbbonline.org" short-description="BBBOnline">
</DISPUTES>

And user Alice would have the following rule in her privacy policy,
allowing her to request content from web sites that are BBB-certified:

<appel:RULE behavior="request" description="Site is BBB-certified.">
  <p3p:POLICY>
    <p3p:STATEMENT>
      <p3p:DISPUTES appel:connective="and">
        <p3p:resolution-type="independent">
        <p3p:service="http://www.bbbonline.org">
      </p3p:DISPUTES>
    </p3p:STATEMENT>
  </p3p:POLICY>
</appel:RULE>

Is that correct?

> Payment info is not party of the P3P base data schema. The idea all
> along was that anyone could create a data schema to meet their needs.
> We were hoping the credit card industry would create one with the
> fields that make sense for credit card info, but that never happened.
> In the mean time, most sites are expressing their policies in terms  of
> categories of information rather than explicit data fields.

Thanks for the explanation.

/Almut