Re: Disavowing Legal Liability

on 9/21/01 1:18 AM, Rigo Wenning at rigo@w3.org wrote:

>>> Neither Microsoft nor W3C forces anyone to write P3P policies.
>>
>> This doesn't seem quite fair.
>>
>> It's very frustrating to have played very honestly with users for as long as
>> we've done business, and find that we are presented with a new standard that
>> breaks our product and so far can't be implemented to a degree satisfactory
>> to IE6.
>>
> But disclaiming with some obscure token won't help you out in
> your case (That what the thread was about).

Andreas was saying that such a token is unnecessary and used his above quote
to part of his argument. The new token may indeed be very bad, but his quote
is incorrect.

My existence here proves it.

- We want to stay in business.

- We (in this very tight internet market) don't have the resources to simply
change our state management.

- IE6 will become very pervasive.

Given those three things, we are indeed 'forced' to write a P3P policy. The
only one of those points in our control is 'do we want to stay in
business?'. Since we are free to choose to go out of business, one can say
that we are not 'forced' to comply, but that's a pretty silly "let them eat
cake" argument.

> So if you have trouble implementing P3P, This List (www-p3p-policy@w3.org) is
> made available exactly for that purpose.

> So please report, where you have the lack of satisfaction.

The basic problem is that in IE6 I don't seem to be able to write
.domain.com cookies in the third-party context from a site that I have
attempted to make P3P compliant and that the W3C Validator suggests is
actually compliant. See this here:

<http://validator.w3.org/p3p/20001215/p3p.pl?uri=frame.my-cast.com%2Fstd%2Fl
ogin.jsp>

I am very aware that I may have implemented it wrong, but I can't find where
it is wrong, and I have tried to do the docs justice.

I've presented this issue in a different thread, and I'm sure you'd
appreciate dealing with it in the context of it's own thread, so I won't
post to this thread anymore.

I appreciate this list's existence and am grateful for the offers of help
I've received.

Ken Martin