Re: policy creation summary?

Paul asked:
> Is there a document that summarizes the information used in a policy
file?
> Something that gives a listing of the data that is expressed in a policy
> file, but without implementation details (e.g., P3P XML syntax), so it
will
> be of use to business people who may not know XML?  I need something I
can
> hand off to the business people as they formulate the policy details.

     Which direction are you trying to go? Are you trying to turn the XML
into a summary of what the policy says, or are you trying to gather the
information to create the XML policy?

     If you're trying to gather the information to create the XML policy,
then Lorrie Cranor has anticipated this need. She's working on a book on
P3P, and one section contains a lot of information about how to create a
P3P policy. She has been kind enough to post an excerpt of the book to her
Web site, giving a checklist of information a site operator would need to
collect in order to create a P3P policy. It's available at
http://www.research.att.com/~lorrie/privacy/p3p-policy-form.doc

     If you have an XML policy and wish to get a summary of the data
collected under that policy, the IBM P3P editor will read in a policy and
display a summary of its contents
(http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/p3peditor). I also have heard that IE6
will include this capability when it ships (though I will make no promises
for Microsoft).

     -- Martin

Martin Presler-Marshall - Program Manager, Privacy Technology
E-mail: mpresler@us.ibm.com
Phone: (919) 254-7819 (tie-line 444-7819) Fax: (919) 254-6430 (tie-line
444-6430)

paulcw@WellsFargo.COM@w3.org on 05/15/2001 12:30:27 AM

Sent by:  www-p3p-dev-request@w3.org