RE : CC/PP comment

At 10:44 AM 2003-04-16, you wrote:
>Hello Al,
>
>it seems to me that the comments you sent about cc/pp had a trouble. it
>sounds like it got cut in the transfer.
>Could-you resend it ?
>
>thanks a lot in advance
>Stephane

Yes, I had a little trouble with that message.  Here is a slightly
cleaned up version:

<note
class="cover inTransmittal">

Please accept this comment from PF against the (closing 15 April 2003)
Last Call for

http://www.w3.org/TR/CCPP-struct-vocab/

Al
/chair, /WAI/PF/

</note>

<comment>

One of the use cases for CC/PP is due to "accessibility" - people who need
some special set of behaviour from their technology, for example restrictin
the number of colours used because they have colour vision deficit (this is
actually pretty common both in classic red-green colour blindness and for
older people who may lose the ability to detect certain colours, but there
are other examples to do with disabilities like blindness, deafness, motor
control, etc...).

One approach that is used by such people is to have some assistve technology
working on top of their browser. This is normally transparent to the browser
itself. Another possibility is that they simply won't see content that
relies on greater colour perception than they have. In each case, there may
be an available form of the content which is appropriate for their needs,
but the specification of a browser profile will not take this into account.

It seems that a solution is available [1,2.3] by setting up a proxy service
on the user's machine which intercepts traffic - for example adding some more
CC/PP information to HTTP GET requests to cover the particular needs of the
user.

[1] VELASCO, C.A.; MOHAMAD, Y.; GAPPA, H.; NORDBROCK, G.; PIEPER, M.;
DARZENTAS, J.; DARZENTAS, J.S.; KOUTSABASIS, P. and SPYROU, T.: IRIS: Toward
An Environment That Supports Internet Design For All. Disability Group,
British Computer Society (Eds.), Proceedings of International Conference on
Assistive Technology (ICAT 2002, 24th-25th April, Pride Park Stadium, Derby,
UK), pp. 1-7 (2002, ISBN 1-902505-47-6).

[2] VELASCO, C.A. and MOHAMAD, Y.: Web Services and User/Device Profiling
for Accessible Internet Services Provision. Proceedings of CSUN's
Seventeenth Annual International Conference «Technology and Persons with
Disabilities» (Los Angeles, USA, 2002).
<http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2002/proceedings/217.htm>

[3] C.A. VELASCO, Y. MOHAMAD, A.S. GILMAN, N. VIORRES, E. VLACHOGIANNIS, A.
ARNELLOS, J.S. DARZENTAS: Universal Access to Information Services - the
Need for User Information and its Relationship to Device Profiles (2003), to
appear in the Journal Universal Access in the Information Society.

</comment>