Re: Validation in CC/PP

From: Carl Binding <cbd@zurich.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:19:52 +0200
To: "Butler, Mark" <Mark_Butler@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "'w3c-ccpp-wg@w3.org'" <w3c-ccpp-wg@w3.org>, "'www-mobile@w3.org'" <www-mobile@w3.org>, www-mobile-request@w3.org

Mark,
we'd certainly support validation. Using XSD just appears to be such a
heavy-weight approach as the XSD type system is not trivial to validate.
But, assuming that only middleware would have to perform
such validation, one could maybe live with it. Imaging an XSD validator on
a mobile phone though is somewhat mind boggling (at least for me).

One additional point to that discussion. Having a schema definition
language (XSD or other formalism) would not spare the manufacturers to
codify and agree on a vocabulary to define the various
constants for I/O capabilities, network properties, etc, etc. This is hard,
tedious work which so far has not been done, but is required *no matter*
which formalism one considers using for schema definitions.
Certain things just remain hard, no matter how round the new wheel is......

Cheers,
Carl