E-commerce using WAP (...WTLS...)

From: <jain@cs.purdue.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 06:34:49 -0500 (EST)
To: www-mobile@w3.org
cc: Sandeep Jain <jain@cs.purdue.edu>
Hi all...

I am developing a secure WAP application for e-commerce.
I am facing a problem.....I dont know if any of the available
WAP terminal simulators....have an implementaion of WTLS...they need not
in a sense as they are only simulators.

My questions are:
1. Is there any vendor (Motorola,Ericsson,Phone.com,Nokia....etc.)
   having a secure implementation of WAP (i.e. WTLS) on the WAP
   enabled cell-phones?
2. Is anybody currently implementing WTLS?
3. Are there any e-commerce application being used currently
   anywhere?

I dont see how one can develop e-commerce applications using WAP
without making sure that the data on the wireless channel being
"overheard". We can have hardware encryption...but that is vendor
and bearer technology specific.

Thanks

Sandeep Jain                    Office: MTH 405
Graduate Student                Phone : 765-494-5006
Computer Science Department     URL: http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/jain/
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1398.