Re: [MathML 4] Add rules to map from non-combining to combining accents

David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk> writes:

> On 05/11/2018 18:45, William F Hammond wrote:
>> I think it would be helpful if your W3C group (does it
>> currently exist?)
>
> Not formally chartered however the group is of course on
> this list. and as you see, handling errata and extension
> suggestions.
>
>> went on record saying that the holes
>> should be filled.
>
> I'm not sure. It would have been better if they hadn't
> been there but they have been there many years now, so if
> they were "filled" it wouldn't simplify the code that is
> dealing with them, just add extra complication that had to
> deal with both possibilities.

For rendering, e.g., browsers, it would just involve filling
in the various fonts that have not previously been following
the Unicode table's cross references.

Present code for casting could be mostly left as it is
(although casting \mathit{h} to U+210E, "Planck constant",
is really, really awful).  New code for casting could
be sane.

I don't understand what you mean by extra complication for
dealing with both possibilities.  If one is worried by holes
in user platform fonts, one can serve webfonts.

                                    -- Bill