Re: [mathjax-dev] New menclose notation coming in MathML 3, 2nd edition

I apologize so much time has elapsed, but the working group took a long
time to come to some consensus.  The two main issues that we needed to
resolve were mirroring (bidi) and naming that can be extended.

It's clear that for the \cancelto notation, the symbol should mirror.
However, the diagonalstrikes don't mirror, and it's not clear that once
extended to all possible (single line) arrows, that all the arrows should
mirror.  Furthermore, if someone is authoring in a RTL language, it is
highly likely the characters they use will come from that language so at
least the cdata of the leaves in the MathML would need to change. Requiring
the author to also change to an menclose attr value is not a big deal if
they want their example to work for an LTR language.  In the end, the group
felt we shouldn't change the spec for how "updiagonalstrike" and
"downdiagonalstrike" behave and that arrow notations should not flip in an
RTL context.

For naming, we considered lots of alternatives and concluded there was some
precedence with unicode naming and with TeX naming that compass points
along with up/down/left/right were used.  So *if* a full set of names were
to be used, they should follow the conventions:

uparrow
rightarrow
downarrow
leftarrow

northwestarrow
southwestarrow
southeastarrow
northeastarrow

updownarrow
leftrightarrow
northwestsoutheastarrow
northeastsouthwestarrow

That means for the cancelto notation, the name should be "northwestarrow".
Given that mathjax and mozilla support a different name, I suggest just
adding this new alternative to accepted names.

The spec mentions the naming convention, but only lists "northwestarrow" as
a recommended name to support.

The draft-spec is at:
http://www.w3.org/Math/draft-spec/chapter3.html#id.3.3.9.2.

Any comments?

Neil Soiffer
SeniorScientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~