RE: Help get math turned back on in Chrome

I wouldn't want to call the Chrome folks liars but I feel they do owe the community a better explanation than "not yet production ready". This code used to be enabled. It didn't yet render MathML really well but that alone is not a reason to leave it out, IMHO. If there's some other issue, the community wants to know about it so they can fix it. Or at least know why they can't have MathML rendering.

Paul

From: Carl Malartre [mailto:malartre@scolab.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 3:11 PM
To: William F Hammond
Cc: www-math@w3.org
Subject: Re: Help get math turned back on in Chrome

Please be respectful of the Chrome folks. What's the proof that they are dishonest and not caring?

Development is hard and manpower is finite and they have to select what they support. They want a good product and I think they have the right and authority to say "the code is not yet production ready".

They said "We hope to turn it on in some future release.". You don't believe them?

Carl
--
Carl Malartre, Sharemath.com<http://Sharemath.com>
Call me at 1-888-528-8878 ext. 803. Follow us on Twitter.com/BuzzMath<http://Twitter.com/BuzzMath>.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM, William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu<mailto:hammond@csc.albany.edu>> wrote:
Neil Soiffer <NeilS@dessci.com<mailto:NeilS@dessci.com>> writes:

> Chrome 24 had MathML in it.  But they plan to turn it off in Chrome 25!!!
>
> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=152430#c32
>
> says
>
>     Note that MathML has had to be turned off because the code is not
>     yet production ready. We hope to turn it on in some future release.
>     We plan to announce this in the Chrome 25 release notes.
Shame on them.

> One easy step to show your support for math in Chrome is to go to
> the above link and click on the star in the above left and to get
> everyone else you know to do the same.  That says you care about
> this bug being fixed.
I think the star widget is a toggle.  I think it's white if one
has not "voted" and becomes gold if one has.  But then don't click
again (if I understand it).

> If you care about math support in browsers, do something to show you care!
Also I think one can add a comment at the bottom of that page.  (I did.)

                                    -- Bill