Re: MathML 3.0 conflict with <apply>

On 02/10/2012 00:36, Jim Michaels wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter4.html#contm.apply
> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter4.html#contm.bind.apply
>
> can you explain these two differing instances? if document needs to
> be corrected, please correct and hopefully get back tome,or I will
> just wait for an update. thanks.

The sections that you refer to try to explain the two usages.
In particular the second one says

> Use of the apply element to bind variables is allowed in two
> situations. First, when the operator to be applied is itself a
> binding operator, the apply element merely substitutes for the bind
> element

This use of <apply> as a synonym for <bind> where the usage is
determined by the context is mainly for compatibility with MathML2
(which didn't have a bind element). It is very rarely ambiguous in
practice, if the <apply> use introduces a bound variable with bvar then
it is really a binding. However in MathML3 we introduced the new bind
element for this use to make the distinction between binding and
application more explicit, however <apply> is still valid for
compatibility (and for ease of authoring in some contexts where
mathematical precision is hard to enforce).

David