Re: [mathjax-dev] Embellished operators

From: Karl Tomlinson <w3@karlt.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:03:16 +1300
To: ion@ams.org
Cc: www-math@w3.org, mathjax-dev@googlegroups.com
> I am puzzled that it would be thought that the base, the first argument of
> to change its size automatically depending on the embellishment.

Stretching the base to match the width of the scripts is described here:

"If a stretchy operator, or an embellished stretchy operator, is a
direct sub-expression of an munder, mover, or munderover element,
or [...], then it, or the mo element at its core, should stretch
to cover the width of the other direct sub-expressions in the
given element [...]"

http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter3.html#presm.horiz.stretch.rules