Re: triple and quadruple dots and the MathML test suite

From: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 13:16:36 -0400
To: Neil Soiffer <NeilS@dessci.com>
Cc: Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr>, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>

On 05/16/2011 12:08 PM, Neil Soiffer wrote:
> However, it is OK to use them as part of xxxscript notations when there aren't
> alternative chars available.  So, this is OK:

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with stray combining chars.
Conceptually, it combines with the ">" yielding non-well-formed xml.
(the fact that such a combined character will never exist

Is there an official Unicode or XML stance on such things?
[The first google hit was from David! Section 5.1 in
   "A combining character should be placed immediately
    after its "base" character, with no intervening markup
    or space, just as is the case for combining accents."