Re: triple and quadruple dots and the MathML test suite

From: Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 13:16:36 -0400
To: Neil Soiffer <NeilS@dessci.com>
Cc: Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr>, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>

On 05/16/2011 12:08 PM, Neil Soiffer wrote:
> However, it is OK to use them as part of xxxscript notations when there aren't
> alternative chars available.  So, this is OK:

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with stray combining chars.
Conceptually, it combines with the ">" yielding non-well-formed xml.
(the fact that such a combined character will never exist
notwithstanding)

Is there an official Unicode or XML stance on such things?
[The first google hit was from David! Section 5.1 in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-entity-names/
   "A combining character should be placed immediately
    after its "base" character, with no intervening markup
    or space, just as is the case for combining accents."
]

bruce