Re: triple and quadruple dots and the MathML test suite

From: Neil Soiffer <NeilS@dessci.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 09:08:22 -0700
To: Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr>
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>
Expanding on David's response:  you shouldn't use the combining chars as
part of an mi or other token for *markup*.  Eg, the following is wrong:
   <mi> x&#x20DB;</mi>

However, it is OK to use them as part of xxxscript notations when there
aren't alternative chars available.  So, this is OK:

It is helpful if your renderer accepts all of the combining chars as part of
a xxxscript as there are plenty of MathML authoring tools out in the world
that will generate markup that uses them.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, MathDaisy, Equation Editor ~