Re: correct DOCTYPES to use on MathML 3.0 documents

On 22/09/2010 02:08, Joe Java wrote:

> --- On Fri, 8/27/10, David Carlisle<davidc@nag.co.uk>  wrote:

Yes Sorry I promised to get the mathml3+xhtml dtd out last weekend, real
life intervened, will try again to get this done.

> So it should be like so?
>
> <!DOCTYPE html
>        PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 3.0//EN"
>        "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml3/mathml3.dtd">

That would be the DTD for pure mathml, not xhtml+mathml.
Also you should use a local copy of the DTD, not reference the W3C
servers directly as (as for the html DTD's) if your software does not
cache the DTD and repeatedly fetches it from the w3c URL, your IP
address will automatically get banned for a while by the W3C servers
which will just return a 500 status forbidden response.

http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic

> Without a DOCTYPE how does the validator know what recommendation to
> validate to?

If you validate locally before putting the file on the server then you
don't need to put a doctype on the file, which imposes a cost on every
application reading the file, that it has to load the dtd.

> The W3C validator does not YET correctly validate HTML5 documents that
> use MathML.

It validated one of mine this afternoon (as did the online validator at
http://validator.nu/

In both cases though they are using schemas based on mathml2 currently.

> For example this is a valid document, but the W3C validator fails to correctly validate it:
>
> https://www.eyeasme.com/Joe/MathML/HTML5_MathML_browser_test

validator.nu passes that

http://html5.validator.nu/?doc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eyeasme.com%2FJoe%2FMathML%2FHTML5_MathML_browser_test

hmm w3c's validator didn't like many of the attributes for some reason:
they look OK to me,

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eyeasme.com%2FJoe%2FMathML%2FHTML5_MathML_browser_test&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

> Is it official that HTML5 will use MathML 3 as the MathML version when validating?

The HTML5 editor doesn't really believe in version numbers:-) So The
HTML5 spec is a bit vague as to exactly which version of mathml can be
used. However I believe the HTML5 spec will point to the "latest
version" of mathml, do hopefully MathML3 in a week or so. Of course
actual implementations may, as ever, take a while to catch up, and
similarly the online validators may take a while to integrate the
mathml3 schemas. (validator.nu is relaxng based)

David