Re: [MathML3-PR] Alignment with display="block"

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Bruce Miller <bruce.miller@nist.gov> wrote:

> As far as the alignment of display blocks, it is
> intentionally abstract. So, the containing document
> type can specify it however it likes, as Murray
> suggests. In the case of html, it could default
> whatever way you like, but would be appropriate
> to set with CSS, as Sam suggests.

That means that user agents, specifically browsers, can
have different interpretations of how to align a block
level math element.  So far, we have two interpretations
that I know of:

   * centered - Firefox
   * left-aligned - Amaya, WebKit

Users have filed a bug against WebKit, so there is at least
some expectation that it should be centered by default.

This is, of course, very easy to change but I'd rather it
be against some recommendation.  It would be better
to have a non-normative suggestion for a good default.

--
--Alex Milowski
considered."