Re: Bug in test suite

From: Ross Moore <ross.moore@mq.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 07:36:14 +1000
To: W3C MathML Development Discussion <www-math@w3.org>

On 21/05/2010, at 1:08 AM, William F Hammond wrote:

> I'm looking at the commutative diagram in the page
> http://www.w3.org/Math/testsuite/build/main/TortureTests/Complexity/
> complex1-full.xhtml
> The diagram is effected with an mtable having 3 cells in each of
> 3 rows.

That coding has a few other quirks that I'd like
to ask about.

             <mstyle fontstyle="normal">
             <mo stretchy="false">|</mo>
             <mo stretchy="false">|</mo>

The mathematical spacing is given here as <mtext> but
the actual word is given as an <mrow> with each letter
presented within a separate <mi> .

Is this what is supposed to happen when translating
   say  \mathrm{for}  instead of  \text{for}  ?

Also there is:

               <mstyle scriptlevel="1">
             <mstyle fontstyle="normal">

in which a \thinspace is given as

in a context where surely it is an "implicit multiplication"
kind of space, rather like how  &InvisibleTimes;  might be

This way of presenting thin-space is used repeatedly throughout
the example. Is it a MathML requirement?
Or just characteristic of the particular producer of this example?
Or a case where one of various alternatives has been used?

> It seems that the markup effect of the reference image is intended
> to be achieved using
>           <mspace height="100px" width="150px"/>
> in the middle cell rather than leaving the middle cell empty.
> Is this a normative technique?
> It works very well in one browser that I'm looking at and is rather
> grotesque in another (on a different platform with different fonts).
> It would seem better to be able to specify arrow lengths.

An attached image shows what I see in FireFox on a Mac.
Also there is an image of the Cauchy formula, where the
integral sign has not stretched.

> As to what "works" now, the rendering of this diagram will, I think,
> be acceptable on both of these platforms if (1) the middle cell is
> left empty and (2) long horizontal arrows, i.e., U-27F5 and U-27F6 are
> used.
>                                     -- Bill

Hope this helps,

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore@mq.edu.au