Re: Operator Dictionary MathML 2 vs. MathML 3

From: Frédéric WANG <fred.wang@free.fr>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:56:50 +0200
To: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
CC: www-math@w3.org
OK. I ask this question because I'm working on a patch to improve
stretching of operator in Firefox. My opinion is that Integral should
stretch by default but not Sum. I attach a screenshot that shows this.
 From top to bottom: the result I expect (screenshot of Amaya), Firefox
with patch applied, Firefox with patch applied + preservation of aspect
ratio.
> Certainly it is inconsistent, thanks for pointing that out.
> The next draft of MathML3 is on the verge of publication and frozen for
> internal testing, so I'll make sure that this is logged as an error on
> the next draft.
>
> My recollection is that it was decided that it was an error to have
> these stretchy by default, TeX and Word dont stretch these by default
> (although in both cases they can be made to stretch given suitable
> fonts) and it was thought that MathML should follow this precedent. I'll
> check with the WG that this is the case...
>
> David

sum_integral.png
(image/png attachment: sum_integral.png)