Re: MathML browser test page

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Joe Java <joe.java@eyeasme.com> wrote:

> Hello Neil,
>
> Granted that manually picking a character size will not look
> as good with different fonts, are we talking "a little off" or
> "freaky weird looking"?

"A little off" (probably).

> Is there some way to suggest that a particular font be used?
> Specifically the STIX Beta fonts are about as free (as in beer
> and speech) as a font can be.  Is there a way to suggest that
> a MathML capable browser use this particular font if it in
> the list of fonts already loaded on this machine?
> Then an author could be sure that at least the equations will
> look similar to what was desired.

There is work at the W3C on how to specify fonts to be downloaded for a
document.  That is probably what the new feature Firefox added is based (but
I haven't looked at it, so this is just a guess).

We are working on adding support for the STIX fonts to MathPlayer.  At this
time, MathPlayer can't make use of them -- they are laid out in one of the
internal font mappings that MathPlayer currently can't handle and so even if
the STIX fonts are on your machine, MathPlayer won't use them.  Using them
should definitely improve the look of MathML rendered by MathPlayer.

     Neil