 Subject: Re: MathML browser test page
 From: Neil Soiffer <Neils@dessci.com>
 Date: Fri, July 17, 2009 10:42 am
 To: Joe Java <joe.java@eyeasme.com>
 Cc: www-math@w3.org

 <snip>
 Yes, the arrow should be stretched automatically, but should it not
 look the same if manually set?  What I am trying to say is that
 Firefox does not work correctly and the arrow is not automatically
 stretched.  I fixed the problem by manually setting the arrow size.
 Is it not OK to do that?  I would think that the system would see
 that the author set the character's size to a particular value and
 it would honor that set value.

Yes, the MathML system should honor that value.  The problem is that you
picked a value that looks good for Firefox.  It may not necessarily look
good for other renders because different fonts and slightly different
layout rules maybe be used.  The value you used will scale with font
size, but because different fonts may have use characters of different
sizes (ie, the uparrow may be relatively smaller or larger compared to
other chars in the font), the results may not be as good in other
renderers.

Unfortunately, I don't know another workaround to the firefox bug.

    Neil