RE: MathML browser test page

From: Joe Java <joe.java@eyeasme.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:34:57 -0700
To: "Christoph LANGE" <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: "www-math@w3.org" <www-math@w3.org>, "J.Fine" <J.Fine@open.ac.uk>
Hello Christoph,

    You are welcome.

    Test 3 was hard to do. I could not get it to look as good as I
The TeX code was much harder than the MathML code to get to work

   I have tried the web-page using MathPlayer on a PC and,
while the fonts are ugly, at least most of the formulas displayed
   Opera fails miserably because it does not understand most named
(i.e that &Sum; stands for Unicode character &#8721; (the summation
   Amaya displays some formulas OK, but since it lacks the ability to
load images
over secure http (i.e. https) (it lacks the ability to do secure
I gave up on it.

    I have noticed even with the same fonts, Firefox 3.5 will display
formulas with slight differences when different operating systems are
That could explain the differences you found.

   I use Mac OS X for all the screen-shots because the formulas look
with this OS than with a PC.  I have not tried using a GNU/Linux system
display this web-page.

   Hope that helps,