Re: Whitespace around enumerated attribute values

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:16:23 GMT
To: hsivonen@iki.fi
CC: www-math@w3.org

> Not rendering intra-element whitespace and collapsing whitespace for
> rendering within text nodes is a totally separate issue from the
> attribute value issue.

Not really, it wasn't the renderinmg but the lookup that I was refering

<mo> + </mo>

should be looke up in the operator dictionary and matched to "+" and
suitable default spacing applied. It seems to me that this operation
(trimming white space before looking up a value in a table) is exactly
the same whether the document holds the value in an attribute or an

Now CSS can't do the element content lookup at all, so you don't see
the problem in that case in CSS based systems. The mathML profile for
CSS already drops this operator dictionary lookup in favour of using
explict attruibutes, and that may be a more reasonable place to tighten
the grammar for enumerated attribute values, disallowing white space.