Re: Whitespace around enumerated attribute values

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:08:43 GMT
To: hsivonen@iki.fi
CC: www-math@w3.org

> Do any common MathML generators generate whitespace around enumerated
> attribute values?

I've no idea, but I'm vary wary of the (commonly expressed) argument
that some feature is not used much so can be removed. Even for features
that are bad, illogical or even possibly never implemented, I think that
unless there is overwhelming reason to remove them they should be kept.
Documents live forever, but applications (eventually) get upgraded to
the latest version of the spec. Making a breaking change that makes old
documents no longer work with new applications should be avoided at all
costs.

There's no hard and fast rules here different people take different
value judgements on when it's worth breaking with the past to improve the
future. Perhaps it's my TeX background, but I know I'm positioned much
further towards the "never change anything" end of the scale than most
people. (Any of my colleagues on the WG could confirm that they have
heard the above argument from me at F2F meetings and phone conferences,
on more than one issue within the spec:-). As always these are personal
opinions, not in anyway to be taken as WG consensus.