Re: Wish for MathML 3: Discourage named entities

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:44:25 +0200
Cc: "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk>, max@berger.name, www-math@w3.org
To: "Chris Chiasson" <chris@chiasson.name>
The big problem here, and this is a very general problem of the web
is that there is no way at the server side, or even at the script-
side, to actually know that this glyph can or cannot be rendered;
there might be hacks though.

The only way CSS tries to solve this is by selectors that check
availability of a whole Unicode range. That is fairly useless for
mathematics.

I tend to support very much your opinion that the character is the
thing to be used as much as possible, and that copy-and-paste
actually works with them... except for the above which tastes "bad
experience" quite a lot.

paul