RE: MathML won't display (or: what triggers mathplayer behaviour?)

No it only solves this particular one.

My understanding (and from my experiments with IE7+MathPlayer)
is that in the two cases Bill gave us, the one that failed
did so because IE reads a single UTF-8 character as a series
of bytes in some other encoding.  The BOM convinces IE that
it really is UTF-8.  (IE doesn't read or act on the
  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
which was certainly present)  But MathPlayer does start up
properly in both cases.  When I added the BOM both documents
displayed correctly.

In the other problem I was having, still not at all resolved,
MathPlayer doesn't even start up at all.  This I believe is
due to the presence of "; charset=utf-8" or something in the
server's Content-Type header.

Richard