Re: MathML won't display (or: what triggers mathplayer behaviour?)

On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 14:47 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
> > This is strange, as there should be enough stuff there to
> > trigger Mathplayer into action
>
> I'd have thought so too, only thing I can think of is that IE isn't
> taking note of the server specified mime type because of the ? query
> string. IE is known to have some odd heuristics in that area, but I'm not
> sure how to test that

I tried adding "?flavor=xhtmlplusmathml" to the normal apache-served
webpage and this didn't make any difference.  I didn't expect it to
because IE clearly sees the tomcat-served blog page as some flavour
of XML else it wouldn't be giving an XML listing. But the
tomcat-served blog page has
Could the charset thingy be causing problems?

> As an aside, to get mathml into a blog (blogger) over which I had less
> control (It always serves as text/html as far as I can see) I found
> Peter Jipsen's script quite useful.
>
> http://dpcarlisle.blogspot.com/2007/04/as-mentioned-in-earlier-post-im.html

I was impressed with this .. and learnt some good tricks from the code.
I didn't even know it was possible. Thanks for sharing it with us.

What happens if you try displaying pages using this script with IE and
no mathplayer installed?  I guess IE will carp about lack of the
plug-in, but will it display anything at all?  (I see you say you have
added some extra stuff to cover these cases...) And is the mathplayer
classid fixed for ever? Or might it change with later versions of
mathplayer?  (If the latter, it would break this script...)

Richard