Re: display="block" question

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:56:38 GMT
To: hammond@math.albany.edu
Cc: www-math@w3.org

> Are there reasonably easy ways in LaTeX of handling a
> (document-level) end-of-sentence following a displaymath environment?

depends what you mean by "after"

\[ 1=2 \rlap{\quad .}\]

does more or less the right thing, but is technically inside the math of
course, exactly the same issue as discussed foe <math>.

similarly to the math suggestion you can do it outside as

\par\(\displaystyle 1=2\).\par

I think I have seen (and may even have written) a packahe that accepted
markup such as

that did the right thing (by essentially getting \] to lookahead see the
punctuation and turn itself into \par\(\displaystyle 1=2\).\par
but the problem with such things is that they are very fragile,
redefining core latex commands tends to break everyone else's packages.