Re: The problems with namespaces in text/html

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 23:01:38 +0200
To: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Cc: dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org, www-math@w3.org
William F Hammond wrote:
>> Nesting languages such as HTML inside MathML inside HTML sounds
>> desirable, ...
>>
> I'm not in favor of non-math content anywhere recursively inside math.
>
> What I'm suggested is _taking_ _over_ the 4 names "a", "b" (or
> "strong"), "em", and "a" when used in "mtext".  That will allow us to
> control what happens.

We had a similar issue in ActiveMath's usage of OMDoc recently where
formulae are in MathML-content or OpenMath and the resulting decision
was that anything similar to mtext is doomed to fail, instead, one needs
special *paragraphs* which were bearing the display-style (carried
through all rendered formulae inside).

This is of course, really only essential if at the content level where
mtext really can have no semantic but I wonder if it would not also
apply for presentation MathML...

paul