Re: MathML-in-HTML5

From: Roger B. Sidje <rbs@maths.uq.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 12:38:58 +1000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Paul Topping <pault@dessci.com>, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, www-math@w3.org, dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org

On 4/10/2006 10:38 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Paul Topping wrote:

[...] One could define that
>>namespace implicitly in HTML5 by stating in the HTML5 spec that <math>
>>means MathML 2.0 or whatever. Of course, this locks MathML to one
>>specific version -- not a good thing.
>
> The proposal that I understand Roger intends to experiment with is making
> any tag in a particular list of tags be added to the DOM as a node not in
> the XHTML namespace but in the MathML namespace.

It is possible to stick to <math>...</math> and make it to Just Work
(tm) -- with the implicit understanding that Paul mentioned above.

(For one thing, it will cut the verbosity a little bit,
Although copy-pasting will often have the xmlns which will then be
meaningless in Gecko but will assure IE parity for authors.)

Maybe I have been too used to xmlns... Paul, David, fast-fowarding your
thinking in time, what is your opinion on this? Also, can bare
<math>...</math> work in IE+MathPlayer out-of-the-box without awakening
old demons and having authors do yet again content-negotiation or some
JS trickeries?
---
RBS