RE: MathML-in-HTML5

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 00:38:44 +0000 (UTC)
To: Paul Topping <pault@dessci.com>
Cc: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, www-math@w3.org, dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Paul Topping wrote:

> The type of the XML island must be declared somehow or it would
> certainly be making more tag soup. As has been stated by other posters,
> you either have to duplicate MathML (or some subset of it) in HTML5 or
> you have to connect it to the MathML definition. The way one references
> an XML definition is by declaring its namespace. One could define that
> namespace implicitly in HTML5 by stating in the HTML5 spec that <math>
> means MathML 2.0 or whatever. Of course, this locks MathML to one
> specific version -- not a good thing.

The proposal that I understand Roger intends to experiment with is making
any tag in a particular list of tags be added to the DOM as a node not in
the XHTML namespace but in the MathML namespace.

The MathML namespace doesn't change between versions, since MathML is
backwards compatible across versions. Thus there is no "lock-in" problem,
just like there is no problem of HTML content being "locked" to a
particular version of HTML.