Samples from the Internet

From: <juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 05:54:28 -0800 (PST)
To: <www-math@w3.org>

Is next

<m:apply>
 <m:mo>&gg;</m:mo>  <!-- put entity for the operator here -->
 <m:ci>x</m:ci>
 <m:cn>0</m:cn>
</m:apply>

recommended by certain tutorial on content MathML valid? I think is not
because violates 5.2.2 Combinations that are prohibited.

I find the spec really confusing for next case

<mml:apply>
 <mml:ci definitionURL="" encoding="">Equilibrium</mml:ci>
 <mml:apply>
  <mml:times definitionURL="" encoding=""/>
  <mml:cn type="integer" base="10" definitionURL="" encoding="">2</mml:cn>
  <mml:apply>

It is true that ci can be used for definition of operators and can be used
as first child, but I assume part of the spec that matters are

4.2.2.1 Tokens:

    The csymbol element, or "content symbol" is used to construct a symbol
    whose semantics are not part of the core content elements provided by
    MathML, but defined outside of the MathML specification.

also 4.4.2.3.1 Discussion:

    In MathML 1.0, fn was also the primary mechanism used to extend the
    collection of "known" mathematical functions. The fn element has been
    deprecated. To extend the collection of known mathematical functions
    without using the fn element, use the more generally applicable csymbol
    element or use a declare in conjunction with a lambda expression.

and first child would be a csymbol. Am i wrong?

On any case maybe may be useful when preparing next MathML 3 spec.