RE: need help with Math Player compatibility (via specifying the DTD on an XHTML page)

Hi Chris,

I looked at your pages using a handy diagnostic tool called Charles
(http://www.xk72.com/charles) that lets one examine the http header
traffic.  I discovered that the literal MIME type string being sent by
your server is

application/xhtml+xml; qs=.99

Unfortunately, the way IE works is that we have to make a registry entry
that *exactly matches* the incoming MIME type in order for MathPlayer to
fire up.  While we register for application/xhtml+xml, the quality
parameter at the end spoils the match.

If I manually add a reg key on my machine at

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PROTOCOLS\Filter\application/xhtml+xml; qs=.99

and fill in the subkeys analogously to the entry we make for plain
application/xhtml+xml, MathPlayer fires for me, and the page displays
fine.  Obviously this isn't a solution, merely a debugging technique.

As an aside, the second formula renders with a couple of annoying
question marks in it, since at least on my system, MathPlayer thinks it
can't find a character for the ⁠& entity.  That doesn't seem
reasonable to me, but I'll have to look into it.

Sorry I don't have a more constructive suggestion, other than to strip
off the qs parameter.

--Robert

Robert Miner
Director, New Product Development

Design Science, Inc.
140 Pine Avenue, 4th Floor
Long Beach, California  90802
USA
Tel:  (651) 223-2883
Fax:  (651) 292-0014
robertm@dessci.com
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, WebEQ, Equation Editor,
TexAide ~