Re: [whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 07:30:43 -0500
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: www-math@w3.org, dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org, WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Personally, I think MathML is so hopelessly verbose for hand authoring
> that this really shouldn't be about enabling hand authoring
> MathML-in-HTML5 but about enabling MathML-in-HTML5 (perhaps generated by
> a future version of itex2mml or similar) to be served through content
> management systems that are not built around a SAX pipeline or an XML
> tree API or XSLT but are built as tag soup systems and simply cannot
> guarantee well-formedness. I mean systems like WordPress and MovableType.

Please don't confuse what these systems won't do with what they can't
do.  I personally wrote a system like this that maintained full
well-formedness at all times despite TagSoup input. In fact, that was
one of the easiest parts of what it did. See

Today's tools and libraries make it easy for anyone using anything more
advanced than a text editor and FTP to publish well-formed documents.
Tools that don't do that by default should be fixed.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!