Re: [whatwg] The problems with namespaces in text/html

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 07:34:29 -0500
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: www-math@w3.org, dev-tech-mathml@lists.mozilla.org, WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> A conforming HTML5 byte stream is *never* a well-formed XML 1.0 byte
> stream.

Really? Never? There are many HTML 4 documents that are well-formed XML
documents? Are these not legal HTML 5 documents? I scanned the spec
quickly, but I didn't find anything that was flat out forbidden by XML.
Is there some variant of the XML declaration or a DOCTYPE or requirement
for an unclosed start-tag that would automatically make all HTML 5
documents malformed XML?

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!