Re: Math on the web without MathML (CSS 2.1 rendering for HTML and XML)

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:20:04 +0100
To: juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com
Cc: www-math@w3.org

> > Do you have a reasonable xml input syntax (or even better mathml input
> > syntax) and a set of css rules that can display large brackets and
> > superscripts on lareg expressions? If so that would be very interesting.
> >
> > David
>
> Apparently you fail to understand still that rendering via CSS does not
> need of mathml ugly and limited markup

If you read what I wrote in the text that you quoted you'd see that I
asked whether you could display large brackets or superscripts from
_any_ input syntax using just css. I didn't say that this was
impossible, just that I haven't seen it done. Rendering of large
brackets requires positioning of bracket-fragment characters (You can't
simply scale a single ( character) The height of a superscript needs to
depend on the height of the base expression.

David