Re: mathml with netscape 7.1 and Mozilla Firefox

From: <juanrgonzaleza@canonicalscience.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:56:03 -0700 (PDT)
To: <www-math@w3.org>

David Carlisle said:
> The extension is irrelevant (according to the specs) and even in IE
> where it is used as a hint as to the mime type, it's the mime type
> that's more important.

We treat XHTML documents differently depending on the mime type (or file
suffix if files are loaded from local discs).

> 2) The original HTML 4 DTD is removed from the tree, but there i no xml PI
> declaration.

> The XML declaration isn't a PI

Right! You are very stronger after vacations :-)

i would say "pseudo-PI" as here

> and it wouldn't mean anything in a DOM
> anyway as its main purpose is to specify the encoding used in a
> linearisation of an XML document so has no meaning in a tree model where
> all characters are unicode.

In some cases the presence of the declaration can force quirks mode
(depending of the MIME of course). Behavior is different, I do not know if
DOMs generated in each case are exactly equal or not.

> again mime types don't really mean much by the time you have an
> model in memory.

I do not know.

> The js mechanism works the other way, with pages being served as html
> and mozilla transforming to xml.

> David

Well, i did some tests and i think that is being rendered in the ASCIIMath
case is not xhtml+mathml as you said some messages ago. The final doc is
not well-formed therefore technically it cannot be called xml.

I said you that final DOM contains a html mime, but i forget enter the
full tag then

<b>Example:</b> Solving the quadratic equation.
Suppose <math title="ax^2+bx+c=0"><mstyle fontfamily="serif"
and <math title="a!=0"><mstyle fontfamily="serif" displaystyle="true"

Juan R.