Re: multi-lingual/cross-cultural maths using MathML?

From: Frank Yung-Fong Tang <franktang@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:58:42 -0500
To: Andreas Strotmann <Strotmann@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Cc: www-math@w3.org

You may want to look at one of the paper in the MathML 2002
http://www.mathmlconference.org/2002/presentations/naciri/

Also, Roger Sidje, the Mozilla MathML module owner slightly touch the
issue in his 2002 MathML paper
http://www.mathmlconference.org/2002/presentations/sidje/

I think you should start from reviewing the usage of the following in
different languages. Hopefully the latin/English base syntax is widely
used, otherwise, you may want to provide a way to override it. I
assume most of the languages that use different presentation of that
may also have popular usage of using the English/Latin one so you may
want to introduce some control to the user to swtich between the local
presentation from/to the English one too:

piecewise, piece, otherwise
limit, log, min, max, domain, codomain,  Image, rem, gcd, xor, arg,
lcm, divergence, grad, curl, ln, median, mode, determinant,
notanumber, true, false,
<cn type="complex-polar">

--
Frank Yung-Fong Tang