Re: multi-lingual/cross-cultural maths using MathML?

From: Frank Yung-Fong Tang <franktang@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:58:42 -0500
To: Andreas Strotmann <Strotmann@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
Cc: www-math@w3.org

You may want to look at one of the paper in the MathML 2002

Also, Roger Sidje, the Mozilla MathML module owner slightly touch the
issue in his 2002 MathML paper

I think you should start from reviewing the usage of the following in
different languages. Hopefully the latin/English base syntax is widely
used, otherwise, you may want to provide a way to override it. I
assume most of the languages that use different presentation of that
may also have popular usage of using the English/Latin one so you may
want to introduce some control to the user to swtich between the local
presentation from/to the English one too:

piecewise, piece, otherwise
limit, log, min, max, domain, codomain,  Image, rem, gcd, xor, arg,
lcm, divergence, grad, curl, ln, median, mode, determinant,
notanumber, true, false,
<cn type="complex-polar">

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:33:53 +0100, Andreas Strotmann
<Strotmann@rrz.uni-koeln.de> wrote:
> We have recently started a project aimed at language-independent
> authoring of mathematical content combined with multi-lingual rendering
> engines for that content.[1]
> There have been a few discussions on this list about similar issues.  I
> would like to request pointers to literature that discusses multilingual
> and multicultural math issues, but most particularly I would like to
> know if someone is aware of efforts to create MathML
> content-to-presentation stylesheets for languages other than English.
> Thanks!
>   -- Andreas Strotmann
> [1]www.webalt.net

Frank Yung-Fong Tang