Re: Question about <bvar>

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:56:10 +0100
To: mhucka@caltech.edu
CC: www-math@w3.org

> However, the XML Schema for MathML allows any content.  Is
> this an error in the schema?

hmm the dtd is the same (even if the MathMLstrict parameter entity is
set).

It's not necessarily "an error": there are several constraints expressed
in the prose text that are not enforced by the dtd and schema
for technical or historical reasons.

Historically the dtd was designed to be fairly lax to allow elements to
be used in "new" contexts, with semantics supplied by definitionURL or
an extension attribute in another namespace etc. The the MathMLstrict
parameter entity tightens up the constraint checking in the dtd and the
schema is on the whole more like the "strict" version of the dtd.

Speaking personally I think I agree with you that bvar should be
constrained to take cn and degree only in the strict dtd and schema, but
we'd need to discuss it within the IG before publishing any errata or
update.

Thanks for the report.

http://www.star.net.uk