Re: first physics ejournal with math in MathML

From: <RobertM@dessci.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:59:16 -0500
To: aldraku@aei.mpg.de
CC: www-math@w3.org

Hi.

> I'm happy to announce that here's an open access physics reviews
> ejournal (living Reviews in Relativity) with mathematics fully expressed
> in MathML.
> I think it is the first of this kind.
> The tool used in the conversion, Hermes, is licensed under GNU GPL.
> I kindly invite you to browse the entire collection of converted
> articles here (where those interested may also find more details about
> the context):
> http://www.aei.mpg.de/hermes/livrev/

Congratulations!  This is a major milestone.

The collection looks fine on my machine, using both IE+MathPlayer and
Firefox, and the pages weren't particularly slow.

Just for fun, I had MathPlayer speak a couple of the longer
expressions.  Clearly we need to teach MathPlayer some physics, but
the fact that I can listen to a current research article full of math
being read aloud by my browser is amazing.  A decade ago, when the
MathML effort first began, this was a "science fiction" dream that
seemed nearly impossibly far off.

It's a shame about the poor MathML support on the Mac.  I wish
there we could get some traction there.

--Robert

Dr. Robert Miner                                RobertM@dessci.com
Director of New Product Development                   651-223-2883
Design Science, Inc.   "How Science Communicates"   www.dessci.com